Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Even Anti depressants Can't Stop This Feeling of Dread

I'm coming out of the closet, as a non voter. Not since the Reagan era have I felt this hopeless. Let me preface by saying that I'm old enough (barely) to remember the day J.F.K. was shot. I remember wearing a POW bracelet crying with my oldest Sister when her friends got the news that their boyfriends were coming home from Vietnam in pine boxes. I then watched countless friends of mine die of a largely ignored four letter disease that no one famous had yet contracted. Then the first Bush decided it had been too long since the young straight men of this country had a good cleansing. On came Desert Storm. After Clinton was elected, I can't tell you the sense of relief and hope and renewed passion for our world, that overtook everyone I came in contact with. It was as if E was released into the wind.

Nothing prepared me for the blow that came when Bush hijacked Gore and then Kerry.

I avoided watching anything that was political on T.V. for the last eight years. Yes you read right, I have never watched a single thing W has ever said or done. I can't bring myself to look at his stupid phony imitation Texan being. It physically hurt me to hear even the slightest sound of his ignorant voice or see his simian features.

Needless to say, I'm beyond jaded or hopeful, but I decided out of boredom (I was literally in the Universities ER with my son at the time)to watch this years debates. I should preface by saying that I waited until I got my first prescription for Celexa filled. I finally broke down. I watched the last of the Presidential Debates in horror like the three monkeys. One hand over my eyes and the other hand covering my ears. I stuffed a clean sock in my mouth in case you're wondering about the third monkey.

It was more fun than a whole barrel of Monkeys. I never realizes how cute Barrack Obama actually is. His eyes are like twinkling stars, his nose as adorable as a button, and those lips speaking sweet sweet words of....... words. Oh no. This is the part where the CD starts skipping on and on. The DJ went to the bathroom and doesn't know it's happening so you either change the station or wait to see how long it will take before anyone realizes it's happening.

Then there was McCain. Was I watching a Saturday Night Live skit? His coy smiles and grimaces whenever Obama said anything, seemed like he was being directed by Lorne Michaels himself. I'm not sure if he's ever had a stroke but that is the only reason I can think of for his awful comments about every issue he was confronted on. I mean really, do women actually almost die in childbirth? Wow. I was stunned but strangely amused. I wonder if it was his wife on the table and it was between saving her or the baby....hmmmmm. I guess it would depend on how young his present mistress was.

No comments: